I curated a list of my favourite articles about writing. Thanks to a mix of content about copy, storytelling and fiction, the quality of your writing will never be the same again after you read all of this writing advice.
As a personal challenge, I tried to improve the headline and subtitle for each article.
Do let me know what you think.
- Paul Graham. Everything About Writing in 424 Words.
Write to generate ideas; share to build on them.
- Scott Adams (Dilbert Blog). The 80/20 Principle of Good Writing.
The basic rules to clear and persuasive writing
- Morgan Housel (Collaborative Fund) Less Is More: The Secret to Better Writing.
Tell all you know and stop.
- Jessie Van Breugel (The Brave Writer). Why You Should Start Writing Online.
Tips and tricks to go from amateur to pro writer.
- Bobby Powers (Writing Cooperative). Write Fiction Like Neil Gailman.
Thirteen tips to enhance your writing and storytelling skills.
- Julian Shapiro: The Guide that Will 10X Your Writing Skills.
Better writing: from idea generation, first drafts, and reviewing to creating a writing habit.
- Paul Graham: Why Yoy Should Oly Write It If It’s Useful.
Importance, novelty, correctness and strength: the key ingredients of successful essays.
- Khe Hy: Think Writing is Hard? Five obstacles debunked.
Why you shouldn’t be afraid of sharing your writing online.
- Harry (MarketingExamples): How to Write Better copy With Conversational Language.
Fourteen tips to create a tighter connection with your audience.
- Roy Peter Clark (Poynter) How to Write Interesting Content.
Fifty tips to write more powerful fiction and suck readers into your story.
- Josh Spector (For the Interested): How To Grab Attention and Make Readers Act.
Sharpen your editing process to make all your content powerful.
- Nivi (Venture Hacks): How to Write the Entrepreneurial Way.
Sixteen tips to write like Buffett.
- Harry (Marketing Examples): Persuasive Copy Made Easy.
Seventeen easy rules to writing copy that sells.
- Josh Spector: Forty One-liners Every Writer Agrees with.
The truth about writing in tiny tips and applicable advice.
- Jacob M. Appel (Writer’s Digest): How to Make Your Introductions Stand Out.
Ten rules to write introductions that make your readers want more.
- Justin Mikolay: How to Make the Ideas bigger and the Word Count Smaller.
Why you should write from left to right and edit from right to left.
- Matt Maiale, Julian Shapiro (Demand Curve): How to Write Headlines Everyone Wants to Click.
Why you should share your benefits and solutions form the start
- Ann Handley: How to Write Better Even if You Think You’re Good at Writing.
Nine rules by some of the greatest writers of all times.
- Nat Eliason: The Writing For the Web Starter’s Guide.
The 21 most practical writing lessons I’ve learned in the last 5 years.
- Kjell Vandevyvere: How to Edit Your Blog Posts in Four Steps.
Your cheat sheet to successful editing.
- Emma Coats (via Aerogrammestudio): How to write a Story the Pixar Way.
22 guidelines to write compelling stories everyone relates to.
- Neil Gaiman: How a World-class Writer Finds Ideas.
A Guide to coming up with new and interesting perspectives for your stories.
- Paulo Coelho: Twelve Writing Reflections from a Best-selling Author.
Paulo Coelho’s key takeaways from his interview on the Tim Ferriss Show.
- Ryan Holiday: Seven Strategies to Make Writing a Book Easier.
How to stop getting stuck halfway through and finish your book.
If you want to learn deeper insights about writing, have a look at these courses.